On 12/07/2010 10:29 PM, Chananya Freiman wrote:
> That worked!
> Is there a reason read would react different then readbytes? after all
> this is all ASCII.

Go take a look at the source for readbytes.  You'll see that it actually
uses read under the covers.  It's really just a convenience wrapper, so
if read works for you, readbytes should as well:

http://rdoc.info/docs/ruby-stdlib/1.8.7/IO#readbytes-instance_method

Try your tests again and take care to only change the lines you want to
test in the exact way you need.  I've learned that if I see something
mysterious happening, the problem is usually my code rather than
anything else. ;-)

-Jeremy