On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Intransition <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Ruby is getting further and further locked in to a specific set of
> tools and libraries and if you don't use those tools you are a second
> class citizen?

I have no idea whether what you describe is a trend.  My usage of Ruby
is too restricted to collide with any "preferred tools" and I am
largely gem agnostic albeit not ignorant. :-)

> Case in point:
>
> =A0https://github.com/erikh/rubygems-test/issues/issue/2/#comment_601820
>
> While I realize Rake is the mainstream choice, I have been
> successfully using an alternate system for years.

On first sight it seems much more reasonable to leave the decision how
to test to the gem author which would mean dropping rake and
introducing a more generic approach as you suggested.  Locking gems
into rake certainly increases dependencies and reduces modularity.
Also, this increases the learning curve to create gems which is
generally not good and also not in line with Ruby's philosophy of
simplicity.

Kind regards

robert

--=20