Thank you all very much for all the thoughtful input and links!

The problem is becoming clearer to me.  Also I am learning from my
restructuring of our Tk based GUI into something much more like the
architecture used by between HTML and the web-frameworks. (( I have
come up with a scheme where every Tk "Wrapper" Class (Entry Fields,
List Boxes, Labels, Combo Boxes, Radio Buttons all covered now) has a
"Server Side Proxy" class.

My goal is to keep this project as close to 100% Ruby as possible!

Also, my particular application might be of some interest here.  It
is, at the core,  about getting really Quality data into a format the
computer can use from Natural language.  I explain to lay folks that
"we all know GIGO - Well, I'm working on what I think "Quality In"
should look like, and what can be done with it".  I have "captured"
1000s of sentences into what I call "Satz" which are Hashes that
follow certain rules.  Following is an example I just concocted
tonight to explain some of this to somebody:

The English Sentence

"I understand that the population of Sturgeon Bay, Wi is about 10,000
people" might be rendered so:

{
   :QUALIFICATION=>:SELF_UNDERSTANDS,
   :POPULATION_CENTER_TYPE=>:CITY,
   :POPULATION_CENTER_NAME=>"Sturgeon Bay",
   :POPULATION_CENTER_STATE_NAME=>:WISCONSIN,
   :POPULATION_CENTER_COUNTRY_NAME=>:USA,
   :POPULATION_NUMBER=>10000,
   :ACCURACY_INDICATION=>:ABOUT
}

From my link given in the first posting, perhaps it can be seen that
"POPULATION" is the column farthest left, and so on....  so somebody
"translating" from natural language can simply use the "vocabulary" of
all the previous keywords used for working with the same topic.  Put
simply, you would see only :QUALIFICATION, :POPULATION, and :ACCURACY
in the first column.  If the translator should hit :POPULATION in the
Listbox, the next listBox will display (at least): CENTER_TYPE,
CENTER_STATE_NAME, CENTER_COUNTRY_NAME, and :NUMBER.   (I played with
more levels but two seems to be a 'sweet spot' for people, and the 2nd
column seldom gets over 30 choices anyway.)

Thanks again!

George