Luis Lavena wrote in post #967284:
> On Dec 7, 10:54pm, "William C." <wcherr... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (TypeError)
>>   can't convert nil into String
>>

> can you try "gem install sqlite3-ruby --no-ri --no-rdoc"
>
> Skip the documentation generation and see if that works.
>
> Dunno why is failing on your end, but updating rdoc could solve it
> (gem install rdoc --no-ri --no-rdoc)

Luis thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I followed your last
suggestion first which eventually gave me the real error, a non-absolute
home error.

I found the solution to that error here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/msg/9158aa07e6d71da8?pli=1

In my case, my system defaults to having its homedrive pointing to a
non-existent H: drive when I'm not VPN'd in. Changing it to C: solved my
problem.

Thanks again.