I think you should be ok so long as you run gvim (the GUI version),
which might be better anyways since you get mouse support and all that.

I found this on the vim.org site (http://www.vim.org/doc/os_win32.txt):

1. Known problems				*windows95* *win32-problems*

There are a few known problems with running in a console on Windows 95.  As
far as we know, this is the same in Windows 98 and Windows ME.

Comments from somebody working at Microsoft: "Win95 console support has
always
been and will always be flaky".
1.  Dead key support doesn't work.
2.  Resizing the window with ":set columns=nn lines=nn" works, but
executing
    external commands MAY CAUSE THE SYSTEM TO HANG OR CRASH.
3.  Screen updating is slow, unless you change 'columns' or 'lines' to a
    non-DOS value.  But then the second problem applies!

If this bothers you, use the 32 bit MS-DOS version or the Win32 GUI
version.

When doing file name completion, Vim also finds matches for the short file
name.  But Vim will still find and use the corresponding long file name.
For
example, if you have the long file name "this_is_a_test" with the short
file
name "this_i~1", the command ":e *1" will start editing "this_is_a_test".