It's interesting. Programming ruby was one of the first english ruby
books and doesn't fall into the ruby (after rails popularity) money
grab.. My diatribe was not specifically with that book. Though I do
find it to be a bit redundant now that we have Matz' book.

Also the Ruby language is unique enough that it shouldn't be grokked
purely from a reference manual style book. There are deeper concepts
and paradigm shifts in ruby that go beyond your basic object oriented
and functional languages.

I am also not alone with my opinion:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/bookstore/

Of course the first edition is online for the OPS review:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

I still stand by my suggestions. Both TWGR and MR deal purely on
paradigm. Everything else seems like learning C from a book that
avoids showing your pointers or even worse never gets into data
structures.