Hi abe.

I went through a period where I bought many ruby books. Sadly most books suck.

The books I recomend in this order:

Well Rounded Rubiest << touches on the theory very canonocal.

The Ruby Programming Language << states it's modeled after k&r writing
style. Then again no one can write like Kernighan. This book is more
of a reference.

Beyond that Metaprogramming Ruby seems good.
Design patterns in ruby is nice if you haven't read gang of four or
looking for direct dialect translation.

The rest are crap or so called cookbooks created for a money grab a
couple of years ago.