Thanks for your help, I had in mind to use a custom model for the tree
view. I was speaking of tree view because it's a generic name for any
kind of hierarchical view even if it's implemented as a treewidget.

I decided not to use the camel case just because it makes clear what
comes from qt and what comes from my own code, especially in classes
that inherit from a qt object. And I'm not sure that using camel case
for methods that you override in subclasses works... I had some bad
surprises but these are my first steps in the qt world so I may have
done something wrong.

I'm also relatively new in ruby, I gave it a try a year ago and fell in
love with it. I'm playing with it at home, being a full time c++, perl
developer on various unix boxes, and managed to get full running app in
less than a year with gtk2. But being upset with some gtk2 limitations
(you don't have multiple selection in tree views, for example), I
decided to try qt.

May be I should have started with a smaller project to start with qt
but as I exactly knew what I had to try, I wanted to check the pitfalls
I fell in with gtk as soon as possible.

And what I wanted to say when I said it was looking like c++ is that the
ruby-gnome2 port of gtk2 is done in a rubysh style (but appears to be
incomplete). Qt looks very interesting when you do c++ but having to use
a class like QVariant in ruby is, in my opinion, the exact anti-rubysh
way!

Anyway, I will try the treeviews in the way you said and may be will you
soon have news from me!

And thanks again for your help and your time!

marco