On Sunday, December 05, 2010 03:30:18 pm Diego Virasoro wrote:
> > SQLite[0] might be worth a look, especially if you can split your data
> > across several instances of SQLite.
>
> Thanks, I'll start with this then.
>
> Any suggestion on the ruby wrapper? It seems that DataMapper is pretty
> good and "hides" some of the complexities of SQL. But I've heard of
> Sequel as well, and some closer to the SQL code such as ruby-sqlite.
>
> Which one would you suggest to start?

Whichever you like -- the important thing is to start.

Personally, I'd suggest DataMapper, mostly because it's likely to make your
application least bound to SQL at all (let alone SQLite) if you decide to
change in the future.

One thing to be aware of with SQLite is that it essentially locks the entire
database for any operations. This may affect you if your code is sufficiently
multithreaded (and you use a Ruby which supports this, like JRuby) or if you
intend to launch multiple worker processes. In either case, you may want to
swap SQLite out for something else eventually.

But especially if you're building on something like DM, you can easily swap
SQLite out for something else in the future.