On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Diego Virasoro
<diego.virasoro / gmail.com> wrote:
>> SQLite[0] might be worth a look, especially if you can split your data
>> across several instances of SQLite.
>
> Thanks, I'll start with this then.
>
> Any suggestion on the ruby wrapper? It seems that DataMapper is pretty
> good and "hides" some of the complexities of SQL. But I've heard of
> Sequel as well, and some closer to the SQL code such as ruby-sqlite.
>
> Which one would you suggest to start?

Without knowing your situation: I'd use sqlite3-ruby, or DBI (still
allows you to access different DB engines without performing too much
magic behind the scenes). From what you wrote, it doesn't look like an
ORM (like DataMapper, or ActiveRecord) would be a good fit. And an ORM
might make things you want to do (like analysis of your data) more
difficult that it is necessary.

If you are really unsure: Grab what you find interesting, and do a
little prototyping with a reduced, somewhat simplified dataset that
you'll be working with. Once you have something that you are happy
with, stick to that, instead of having to discard half your work
because you start hating the way your chosen tool behaves. :)

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget