> I was thinking about this last night and it's part of a belief I have
> that you reuse powerful facilities available to you rather than imitate
> them or bodge them into Ruby. That's how scripting languages started -
> simple programming interfaces to applications, operating systems etc.

I am pretty sure that's not how Ruby started.

> If you want to script a web site then don't struggle with Ruby-like
> libraries, run Internet Explorer and script its model.

What does it even mean?

> Nothing you can
> download from rubyforge is ever going to be as big, sophisticated and
> tested.

As buggy? IE is least capable. We have open source mozilla, open
source Webkit, why IE?

 Similarly with spreadsheets - Excel is on your computer, why
> mess with anything less? Fire up win32ole and the World is your oyster.

Excel is not on my computer. And neither it is on my server. And win32ole
won't fire, because I am on OS X.

Regards,
Rimantas
--