I was thinking about this last night and it's part of a belief I have
that you reuse powerful facilities available to you rather than imitate
them or bodge them into Ruby. That's how scripting languages started -
simple programming interfaces to applications, operating systems etc.

If you want to script a web site then don't struggle with Ruby-like
libraries, run Internet Explorer and script its model. Nothing you can
download from rubyforge is ever going to be as big, sophisticated and
tested. Similarly with spreadsheets - Excel is on your computer, why
mess with anything less? Fire up win32ole and the World is your oyster.