2010/12/2 J=F6rg W Mittag <JoergWMittag+Ruby / googlemail.com>:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> On 12/02/2010 06:07 PM, Doug Stone wrote:
>>> why is it advantageous to be able to distinguish aVariableName from ava=
riablename?
>> So you basically ask why Ruby's identifiers are case sensitive. =A0It's
>> that way in many (most?) programming languages. =A0I suspect that what t=
>> us humans looks like simple (identifying both variants as the same
>> variable) is more difficult for computers: case handling is highly
>> dependent on the encoding used and may actually be difficult to compute.
>
> It's actually impossible. My favorite example:
>
> =A0 =A0def ma=DFe; end
> =A0 =A0def masse; end
>
> =A0 =A0MASSE =A0# =A0Oops. Which one do I mean?

This can get even worse if you have a font with an upper case =DF (these ex=
ist):

MA=DFE # Er...

That's also a good example why Unicode is a good thing, but can be
painful when using Unicode characters to name programming constructs.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget