Brian, that's wonderful... that's a beautiful, elegant way to solve my
problem! though i'm sure the other ways are better in different
situations, this works beautifully (and your output of Math.sinc(0.5)
pointed out that my 'newer and faster' organization of the code was
apparently also goving me truncation errors and giving a value of
0.6366197723675814 WAYYYY off...)

thanks everybody for the help!

i'm sure i'll be back with more Q's... i'm still a noob but ruby is
proving WAY easier than my forays into C/C++, VB (which is ridiculously
verbose IMO) and the few other langs i've tried.