On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Intransition <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> The terms singleton class, eigenclass and metaclass are. Which I
> believe was the question.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification everyone. I talked to a Ruby implementer
who agrees these three terms are interchangeable.

The confusion arose for me from "singleton methods", whose name comes from
things like rb_define_singleton_method() (in the C API) and the
singleton_method_callback.

I still see a lot of confusion as to what to call the object which
represents a class. "Singleton class" made sense to me in that context...
there is only one object, its class is Class, and as far as I can tell
singleton methods are instance-specific behaviors of this object.

So what is the proper term for the object (with "singleton methods") that
represents a class but is not its singleton class/metaclass/eigenclass?

How fucking confusing...

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand