On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Doug Stone <dstone / concerro.com> wrote:

> Yes, thanks: I was asking why, when designing a language, why make
> identifiers case sensitive.  One list member responded that there would be
> an extra overhead involved in equating, say, aVariableName with
> avariablename.  Overhead considerations aside, I think it would be desirable
> to have identifiers be case-insensitive... ?

As an extremely visually oriented person, I think I would incur a mental
overhad as well if you could talk about the same variable/method in
different places, but have the method name look different in each of them.

Interestingly, in JRuby, when dealing with Java libs, you can call methods
with either snake_case, or camelCase, and both will work just fine.