David Masover wrote in post #964917:
>> And to be honest, over time new System B is likely to become as
>> undocumented and hard to maintain as System A was, unless you have a
>> highly skilled and strongly directed development team.
>
> Well, technologies _do_ improve. I'd much rather have an undocumented
> and hard
> to maintain Ruby script than C program any day, let alone COBOL.

But rewriting COBOL in Perl may be a bad idea :-) Even rewriting it in
Ruby may be a bad idea if the programmers concerned don't have a lot of
experience of Ruby.

(There is some truly awful legacy Ruby code that I have to look at from
time to time. It is jammed full of @@class variables, has no tests, and
the logic is a tortuous maze. We're aiming to retire the whole system)