On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek / gmail.com> wrote:

> Its wrongness is an interpretation (I would also prefer that it just break,
> but I can certainly see why some would say it should be infinity). And it
> doesn't apply only to Ruby:

It cannot be infinity. It does, quite literally not compute. There's
no room for interpretation, it's a fact of (mathematical) life that
something divided by nothing has an undefined result. It doesn't
matter if it's 0, 0.0, or -0.0. Undefined is undefined.

That other languages have the same issue makes matters worse, not
better (but at least it is consistent, so there's that).

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget