Chuck Remes wrote in post #963430:
> I use 1.9.2p0 daily and find it to be extremely stable and fast. I would
> say the biggest reason to use it is to get a performance boost. Most of
> your code from 1.8 will "just work."  My code sees a 2-5x speedup on
> 1.9.2 versus 1.8.7.

And just to give some balance: the biggest reason not to use 1.9 is
because of the incredible complexity which has been added to the String
class, and the ability it gives you to make programs which crash under
unexpected circumstances.

For example, an expression like

   s1 = s2 + s3

where s2 and s3 are both Strings will always work and do the obvious
thing in 1.8, but in 1.9 it may raise an exception. Whether it does
depends not only on the encodings of s2 and s3 at that point, but also
their contents (properties "empty?" and "ascii_only?")

The encodings of strings you read may also be affected by the locale set
from the environment, unless you explicitly code against that. This
means the same program with the same data may work on your machine, but
crash on someone else's.

https://github.com/candlerb/string19/blob/master/string19.rb
https://github.com/candlerb/string19/blob/master/soapbox.rb