Rick Denatale wrote in post #962943:
>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/ruby/bin/ruby /usr/bin/ruby
>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/ruby/bin/gem /usr/bin/gem
>
> This is wrong, you are making /usr/local/ruby/bin/ruby point to the
> system installed ruby and the same thing for the gem executable.

That's untrue. ln -s is
  ln -s <link-target> <where-to-install-the-link>

And in any case, the OP didn't have a system ruby anyway.

I would start with typing

    /usr/local/ruby/bin/ruby -v

Does that work? If so, you want /usr/local/ruby/bin on your $PATH

If not, look at the configure and make output to see what went wrong.

> That all said, if it were me I'd install ruby using RVM

Yes, that takes care of all this stuff and more.