On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Pen Ttt <myocean135 / yahoo.cn> wrote:
> i installed ruby this way:
> sudo wget ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.2-p0.tar.bz2
> sudo tar jxvf ruby-1.9.2-p0.tar.bz2
> cd /home/pt/ruby-1.9.2-p0
> sudo ./configure -prefix=3D/usr/local/ruby
> sudo make && make install

First off you seem to be using sudo when it normally isn't used and
not with it is.

Normally do all of the steps up to and including make as a normal user
and then do

sudo make install

and only if you are installing to a place which requires root
privileges.  Using sudo unnecessarily is dangerous since you really
don't know what those commands might do particularly the make

> sudo ln -s /usr/local/ruby/bin/ruby /usr/bin/ruby
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/ruby/bin/gem /usr/bin/gem

This is wrong, you are making /usr/local/ruby/bin/ruby point to the
system installed ruby and the same thing for the gem executable.  I'm
not sure why you did this.  If the make install worked it should have
made ruby and gem accessible via /usr/loca/bin, probably via symlinks.
 And since you are setting the PATH environment variable to put
/usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin the shell should find your installed
ruby.

I suspect that what happened is that the make install failed because
you didn't run it under sudo.

That all said, if it were me I'd install ruby using RVM