On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Peter Parker <cancer10 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> First of all I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong sections, mods
> may move this to the correct one.
>
> I come from a PHP background. I have been using frameworks )(Zend,
> cakephp) since years.
>
> I am planning to learn Ruby. I want to make a small project in it but
> was wondering if its possible to make the project without using a
> command line. Every tutorial I read on the internet explains how to run
> your ruby code using command line. In Zend or cakephp, we have the
> option to either use the command line or download the framework library
> from their respective website and start using your favourite IDE and
> start coding.

Ruby is more than a language for the web. If all you want to do are
websites, then looking at mod_passenger for Ruby on Rails is your best
bet.

> 1) Is this also possible in Ruby?

See above.

> 2) Can I download the framework library and start coding using Netbeans
> etc?

There is no "the framework library" in the stricter sense. Unlike PHP,
Ruby is a scripting language that is useful for lots of things, from
CLI scripts, to the web, to desktop applications. Pretty much every
language uses some level of command line interaction, if only to
generate the project skeleton.

However, you *can* use Netbeans (or Eclipse, or a couple of other IDEs
/ editors) to create a new project (NetBeans has a Rails plugin, and
ships with an inbuilt JRuby and Rails, but both are likely to be out
of date out of the box).

> 3) Is there any (step-by-step) tutorial available for the same?

If you use your favorite IDE, it'll work just like any other project
type support by said IDE.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,