Petite Abeille wrote in post #961384:
> Alternatively, one could look at the db as a, hmm, black box. The db
> only exposes itself as a set of RPC calls (aka store procedures or
> such). Clients only interact with the db through these. No free form
> queries or anything. As always, YMMV.

I suspect this is what most programmers do as most databases seem to be
very poor at views, and particularly at updatable views. (Jet curiously
is really rather smashing at this).

This all comes from the Three Schema Architecture, which proposes you
have a logical model (the base tables) which represents the objects in
your domain, an internal model which is how your data is physically
stored and an external model which is in a format relevant and
convenient for your application. When the relational model was defined
(by ANSC),no internal schema structure was covered (almost always we use
the relations of the logical model more-or-less). An external schema was
however defined. The expectation was you would write your programs to
views.