On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Wojtek Galaj <wojtek.galaj / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am completely new to Ruby on Rails. When i install gems some of them
> get installed to ~/.gem folder as apparently the other location is not
> writable.
>
> What is the best way to go about this: chmod the folder in Library,
> let gems go to ~/.gem, sudo install gems always? What do you guys use?

1) Don't chmod system folders unless you know what you are doing
(doubly so on a, I guess, Mac. Steve might get upset about you
thinking you know better than him).

2) Where to install gems depends on whether you want them available to
every user, or just yourself, and there's no real answer to that.
require (in 1.9) RubyGems (pre-1.9) are smart enough to find gems in
either case, if you deploy your stuff elsewhere (or use bundler to
make sure you distribute the correct gems and gem versions).

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget