On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Tim D. <timdeboerz / gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Robert. Be interesting to see how it pans out once I start using
> Ruby in anger. I figure rails "convention over configuration" will
> reduce the combinations so hopefuly that practice alone will be enough
> to reduce the issue to a point where it's no big deal.

Hi Tim,
   I have worked in Java for years, and I am familiar with the versioning
issues of which you speak. Strictly speaking this is library dependency
versioning. Things like dynamic typing in Ruby provide powerful tools for
assisting library compatibility, and these tools compound in value with
scale. The only time I ever have library versioning issues was when you are
dealing with very complicated dependency trees (DataMapper 0.10.x and its
dependency trees of adapters etc. on unusual platforms like JRuby or Heroku
comes to mind).

I can recall the simplest dependency chains being upgrade hell in Java.

But I have never noticed his problem being significant in Ruby.

--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/RichardConroy