Thanks Robert. Be interesting to see how it pans out once I start using
Ruby in anger. I figure rails "convention over configuration" will
reduce the combinations so hopefuly that practice alone will be enough
to reduce the issue to a point where it's no big deal.

In thinking about it the issues in the java space (and particularly with
spring) are often more to do with tutorials, examples and documentation
that rely on particular versions of components. In a mature enterprise
codebase you don't have the luxury of using only the versions the
examples support.

I suppose that's just part of life as a software developer!