On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Martin A. <pownyan / gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to ruby, and i want to write a small text based games with some
> sound effects. i have read about the win32-sound gem, but I have Ubuntu
> (10.10) is there any way to play mp3/midi files in ubuntu without
> starting a external player as vlc or such?

IIRC, GNOME uses GStreamer for Audio/Video, so take a look here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ruby-gst/

Note that this will work only for systems where GStreamer is installed
(in true Linux fashion, pretty every window manager reinvents the
wheel from (almost) scratch, alas).

Another option, a bit less WM dependent is SDL. So take a look at
http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.en.html

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,