My problem is the mismatch.

Objects have data that relates to what they are doing and can be
configured to suit their needs.

The database approach views data as having an innate structure created
by many different stakeholders, use cases, and therefore many different
potential objects.

A language like SQL gives you a neat interface between the two worlds.
It is trivial to adjust an SQL call wrapper even if you need to. Any
minor extra burden on connecting from your Ruby program is more than
compensated by the  more sophisticated (more precise) representations of
the data and the wealth of other database tools and services (stored
procedures, triggers etc) made available to you.

(Also as dog-collar wearing , fully ordained, anti-ORM preacher, it is a
matter of faith - I was just brought up to believe in these things. I
guess I'll never change)