Phillip Gawlowski wrote in post #959914:
> Hitting enter after the above steps reveals that the "d" gets
> swallowed up, however, and only "abcefg" are being processed.

You're right, I didn't even notice that. What is even worse, is trying
to use irb within the MSYS bash:

1. Start up bash
2. Type "irb" and press return
3. Type "abcdef" and press return
4. Press the up arrow key
5. Press the down arrow key
6. Press up again: Now you've got your previous line twice! You can
repeat this process as often as you want, the line keeps getting longer
and longer.

(Hopefully these steps are correct, I just wrote them down from memory
as I don't have access to the Vista machine for some time now).

As a side note: I usually don't use CMD directly on Windows, because
it's kind of difficult to manage all these shells in different windows
(sometimes I run irb, MSYS bash, CMD and Cygwin bash simultanously).
Therefore I'm using Console2, which may explains some odd input
behaviour.

Valete,
Marvin