On Nov 7, 2:24=A0am, Robert Klemme <shortcut... / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 06.11.2010 10:19, flebber wrote:
>
> > I am trying to create a class. I am struggling to figure the best flow
> > to get the maths side to work.
>
> > So say that
>
> > R is a float given by user input
> > P is a Total amount(Pool)
> > Per is a variable %
> > X is a variable that is a percentage of P defined by a maximum
> > allocation.
>
> > So main =3D (( R * X)/P)*100
>
> First of all you should get your variables right. =A0Variable "Per" does
> not show up in the formula and "main" is not mentioned in the list.
>
> The meaning of the formula is totally unclear to me. =A0From what you gav=
> you are calculating the fraction (R/P) multiply it with 100 (so you
> actually get (R/P) percent and now you multiply with another percentage
> (X). =A0So you have a percentage of a percentage.
>
> > What I want to test is the value of X needed to equal Per from X's
> > maximum allocation down.
>
> Can you write down a formula that contains all variables in your list
> and point at the fixed ones (constants), user inputs and variables you
> want to resolve?
>

> > What i am thinking but cant get right
>
> > Say
>
> > R =3D 5
> > P =3D 10
> > Per =3D 190
> > X =3D max 80% of P
>
> > For X in main =3D Per ( Closest whole number or half that equals closes=
> > to but greater than Per)
> > main =3D (( 5 * 8)/10)*100
>
> > So in example intially main equalled 400%. And answer I would want to
> > resolve it to is X =3D 4 which is 200% as 3.50 equals 180%.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Sorry you lost me somewhere along the path. =A0Also it's tea time right n=
ow...

> Cheers
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 robert
>
> --
> remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without endhttp://blog.rubybestp=
ractices.com/

So I want to check by changing X when in forumla "main" that it is =3D>
than "per"

In simple terms I want to calculate units needed to reach a rate of
return, X represents the variable units and per is the ROI(return of
investment rate I would deaire to acheive), R is the ratio of return
and P is a pool or base amount, I am using base 10 to start off with.

I am trying to test X for a value, the only constraint on X is that it
cannot exceed 80% of the P or Pool amount.
So if I set per =3D 190%

R =3D 5
P =3D 10
Per =3D 190
X =3D max 80% of P

For X in main >=3D per

main =3D (( 5 * X)/10)*100 >=3D 190%

so for X =3D 80% of P or 8 base units

main =3D (( 5 * 8)/10)*100

which would test out as

main >=3D per

400 =3D> 190 -

So when X is 8 units the main section is greater than per but its not
the closest whole unit to per.

So when X =3D 40% or 4 base units

main =3D (( 5 * 4)/10)*100
main >=3D per
200 >=3D 190

this is the largest unit in 0.5 increments that remains greater than
Per of 190 so I would want X once tested to resolve to this.

I hope that made sense.