On 10-11-06 02:19 AM, Kaye Ng wrote:
> I'm using windows XP.  I save my practice files in my thumb drive -
> H:\Ruby\Practice  , this directory is added to the path variables (in
> Environment Variables), so that when I open command prompt and the
> default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\user>  , I can run my
> problem example1.rb (which is in H:\Ruby\Practice) by typing "example1"
> like so:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\user>example1
>
> and it would run just fine, even if example1.rb is not in the default or
> current directory (C:\Documents and Settings\user>).
>
> However, I have another file saved in the same folder as example1.rb (in
> the thumb drive), and the code opens a text file (about 18 paragraphs
> worth of text).  Why is it that I cannot run it directly from
> C:\Documents and Settings\user like I did with example1.rb?  I have to
> go to H:\Ruby\Practice and type in the text file's filename.
>
> Thanks guys!

what are you saying? that you want"H:\Ruby\Practice\example1.rb" to run
when you are in "C:\Documents and Settings\user" ?? if that's what
you're asking it can't be done just using the filname! Either you CD
into the folder, or provide the full pathname + filename,
"H:\Ruby\Practice\example1.rb"

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1