On 06.11.2010 10:19, flebber wrote:

> I am trying to create a class. I am struggling to figure the best flow
> to get the maths side to work.
>
> So say that
>
> R is a float given by user input
> P is a Total amount(Pool)
> Per is a variable %
> X is a variable that is a percentage of P defined by a maximum
> allocation.
>
> So main = (( R * X)/P)*100

First of all you should get your variables right.  Variable "Per" does
not show up in the formula and "main" is not mentioned in the list.

The meaning of the formula is totally unclear to me.  From what you gave
you are calculating the fraction (R/P) multiply it with 100 (so you
actually get (R/P) percent and now you multiply with another percentage
(X).  So you have a percentage of a percentage.

> What I want to test is the value of X needed to equal Per from X's
> maximum allocation down.

Can you write down a formula that contains all variables in your list
and point at the fixed ones (constants), user inputs and variables you
want to resolve?

> What i am thinking but cant get right
>
> Say
>
> R = 5
> P = 10
> Per = 190
> X = max 80% of P
>
> For X in main = Per ( Closest whole number or half that equals closest
> to but greater than Per)
> main = (( 5 * 8)/10)*100
>
> So in example intially main equalled 400%. And answer I would want to
> resolve it to is X = 4 which is 200% as 3.50 equals 180%.
>
> Any ideas?

Sorry you lost me somewhere along the path.  Also it's tea time right now...

Cheers

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/