I'm using windows XP.  I save my practice files in my thumb drive -
H:\Ruby\Practice  , this directory is added to the path variables (in
Environment Variables), so that when I open command prompt and the
default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\user> , I can run my
problem example1.rb (which is in H:\Ruby\Practice) by typing "example1"
like so:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>example1

and it would run just fine, even if example1.rb is not in the default or
current directory (C:\Documents and Settings\user>).

However, I have another file saved in the same folder as example1.rb (in
the thumb drive), and the code opens a text file (about 18 paragraphs
worth of text).  Why is it that I cannot run it directly from
C:\Documents and Settings\user like I did with example1.rb?  I have to
go to H:\Ruby\Practice and type in the text file's filename.

Thanks guys!