On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Thierry Ntoh yuh <thierryny / hotmail.com> wr=
ote:
> Please someone help me with this ruby code on putty/emacs
> Thanks
>
> Write a statistical program in Ruby to:
>
> a) =A0Input the name of a data file from the command line arguments.

Take a look at ARGV

> b) =A0Input floating-point numbers from the data file.

File#readlines and Array#map and String#to_f or Kernel#Float to
transform to floats

> c) =A0Calculate and output the mean. =A0This is the average, or the sum o=
> the
> =A0 =A0values divided by the number of values.

sum =3D array.inject {|total,n| total + n} # this gives you the sum of the =
values

> d) =A0Calculate and output the median. =A0This is the value such than hal=
> the
> =A0 =A0values are larger and half are smaller. =A0If you have an even num=
ber
> of
> =A0 =A0values use either middle value or the average of the two middle
> values.

array.sort[array.size / 2] # will sort the array and take the middle
value (or the left side one if even)

Hope this sets you on the right track. Let us know how it goes.

Jesus.