--Apple-Mail-410--810548365

On Nov 3, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Ruby Me wrote:

> I am not here to say that PHP is better or the opposite, I am here to
> ask, how web development in Ruby compared to PHP. Does Ruby use the same
> tools? for example MySQL and Apache?

I went from PHP to Rails and have never looked back.  I recommend using Rails 3.  It easily connects to MySQL and PostgreSQL.  Running development code is quick as it comes with a built-in web server and database.

I don't know if you're using the Zend framework, but Rails is a MVC framework.  Zend's framework is relatively new and came out after I made my switch to Rails.  I also haven't compared Rails to Python's Django.  I have used WebObjects though, and I find Rails to be extremely elegant with respect to that system.

> And the most interesting point, which language can create a web
> application with less code? (I am talking about the languges not the
> frameworks).

Ruby, the language that facilitates Rails and all the other favorite frameworks, is unequivocally less code.  It's a big reason why I won't go back to PHP.

Jose
Jose Hales-Garcia
UCLA Department of Statistics
jose.halesgarcia / stat.ucla.edu-Apple-Mail-410--810548365--