Chad Fowler exclaimed in response to Pat Eyler's desires
>>One thing I'd really like to see is 'beginning programming with ruby' as
>>opposed to 'beginning ruby programming', With some coverage of 'best
>>programming practices'.  Too many learning/beginning/etc. books make the
>>assumption that the reader is already fluent in some other progarmming
>>language.
>>
>>-pate
>
>I believe Pete McBreen had started on something like this.  Pete?

Yes, I'm working on it with Addison-Wesley. I'm writing an introduction to
software development using Ruby covering everything from testing,
maintenance, OO design, use cases, requirements, programming,
documentation and mastering the craft of software development. Finishing
off my "Questioning Extreme programming" book (now in press) took slightly
longer than planned so "Ruby for  the Nuby" stayed on the shelf longer
than I thought it would when I pre-announced it at RubyConf 2001.

Right now I'm at the proposal stage, the questions that are coming up
surround the size of the market. The problem is that compared to VB, Java
or C#, the Ruby market is tiny, miniscule and insignificant. One of the
early Core Java books sold over 1 million copies. The Java in a Nutshell
book has been a top 1000 seller on Amazon since it launched, it has
probably outsold all of the Ruby books combined by a factor of at least
10.

Having said that I'm convined that Ruby is an ideal first programming
language and that the book will create it's own market. I've lost count of
the number of people who have seen my "Software Craftsmanship" book and
asked me for recommendations for an intro to software development book.
Right now there isn't really much out there for absolute beginners who do
not want to start with VB and/or do not consider themselves a dummy:-)

I'll keep the list posted when the contract is signed and when I need to
get some reviewers. In the meantime, <blatant self promotion> a great way
to show the publisher that I'm a commercial author would be for the sales
of my "Software Craftsmanship" book to take off. </blatant self promotion>
;-)

Pete
----
Pete McBreen, McBreen.Consulting , Cochrane, AB
email: petemcbreen / acm.org    http://www.mcbreen.ab.ca/

Author, "Software Craftsmanship The New Imperative"
Addison-Wesley (C) 2002
Finalist for the 2002 Jolt Awards