Brandon,

Sounds like win32-changenotify might be what you're after. Or
win32-changejournal.

http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/

From that website:

The win32-changenotify library lets you monitor files or directories
for certain events, such as when a file is created, modified, deleted,
etc.
Although deprecated in favor of win32-changejournal on NTFS
filesystems, this library is still maintained because not everyone
uses NTFS. It also has the advantage of being pure Ruby, which may or
may not be a selling point for you.

Installation: gem install win32-changenotify.

Charles