Hi all,
I've found very few on the net in regards of Windows and the option
available in the ODBC Driver/ODBC Driver Manager.
So the following problem still remain unsolved:

irb> require 'odbc'
irb> conn = ODBC::connect('giomai_db_dsn', 'sa', 'password' )
irb> query = conn.prepare("select * from citt where idcitt = 1)
irb> query.execute
ODBC::Error: 37000 (170) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server]Riga 1: sintassi non corretta in prossimit¦Á di ''.
                  from (irb):xx:in `execute'
                  from (irb):xx
irb>

This is from Commands Prompt that use
D:\>chcp
Tabella codici attiva: 850  ----------> CP850
that doesn't include the '¦Á' character of the error message, and that is
the same both,
if toggle on or off the option 'convert data characters' in Driver
configuration from Windows ODBC driver manager.
Beside, in linux, I solved setting 'character code = UTF8' in
freeetds.conf
because the DB use CP1252, and this way it doesn't influence the entire
system.

In fact, in windows, it also results in error from rail execution:
( RadRails )
Exception occurred during reader method compilation.
Maybe IDCitt is not a valid Ruby identifier?
compile error
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/composite_primary_keys-2.3.2/lib/composite_primary_keys/attribute_methods.rb:34:
syntax error, unexpected tSTRING_BEG, expecting ')'
def IDCitt; missing_attribute('IDCitt', caller) unless
@attributes.has_key?('IDCitt'); (v=@attributes['IDCitt']) && (v.to_i
rescue v ? 1 : 0); end

I don't know where to investigate,
because linux also use ruby-odbc, I think!
But using Client ODBC in windows I have good result on the same table,
maybe because the client convert the characters code for the output
window!

Can you help me?

Thanks.