On Oct 18, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Rahul Kumar wrote:

> Great link. I still have a question about multiple versions that i
> don't
> think is answered in that post.
>
> You've got a bug fix identified in 1.2 which also applies to 1.1
> (maint).
>
> Do you apply the change separately to both branches ? Or is it applied
> to 1.1 and then merged with 1.2 or viceversa.
>
> I am really afraid about this cherry-picking thing -- it seems to work
> on tiny dummy branches, but on the real thing it just pulls in
> everything despite saying "interactive".

Are you thinking about git rebase here? When you git cherry-pick only
a single commit is applied to the branch that you're cherry-picking
to.  If you have a big fix commit that you create on the 1.2 branch,
you'd cherry-pick that onto the 1.1 branch (or create a 1.1.1 or 1.1-
p1 branch depending on your conventions) and *also* cherry-pick that
commit onto your development branch (you wouldn't want the bug to
resurface in 2.0, right?)

You merge and rebase entire branches, but cherry-pick is one commit at
a time.

-Rob