Great link. I still have a question about multiple versions that i don't
think is answered in that post.

You've got a bug fix identified in 1.2 which also applies to 1.1
(maint).

Do you apply the change separately to both branches ? Or is it applied
to 1.1 and then merged with 1.2 or viceversa.

I am really afraid about this cherry-picking thing -- it seems to work
on tiny dummy branches, but on the real thing it just pulls in
everything despite saying "interactive".

In the example above, release-* is a temporary branch. Should i keep it
permanent. Or should I keep a "master-*" for other versions and branch
"release-*" from it ?