Conrad Schneiker <schneik / austin.ibm.com> writes:

> Any chance that Ruby 1.6+ will have a built-in standard
> multidimensional array?  Especially since 2-D arrays are a very
> common data type that seem to turn up frequently in tables for
> general data processing, plus for graphics, math, engineering, and
> physics?

Apart from performance, are there any advantages to building this in,
rather than using the array and matrix library modules?

In general, I'd suggest that one of the charms of Ruby is its small
conceptual size. Even though many of the basic types are built in, we
can pretend that they're not, that instead they are add-in library
modules. The built in types do not add any new syntax to the language.

My vote for future enhancements would be that if it _can_ be done
outside the core of the language, it _should_ be done outside the
core.

Regards

Dave