I understand this question is a little off-topic here, but the
documentation on GitHub.com doesn't help me.

Here's the story:

GitHub allows one to use various markup languages when editing wiki
pages. By default is used some modified Markdown.

We're told to indent code blocks by 4 spaces (at least). It works
alright.

But there's more:

When I click the "Help" link (in the textarea) I see, under the "Code"
section, that we can also highligh code. Cool. So I want to highlight
the Ruby code I type into wiki pages. The example they give there isn't
quite clear. If I understand correctly, typing the following:

```ruby
    def foo
      puts 'bar'
    end
    ```

Should result in highlighted code. In other words, the first line should
contain 3 backticks immediately followed by the string "ruby", and the
block needs to end in 3 more backticks. It doesn't work: the code isn't
highlighted. I'm not surprised: I probably don't read the example
correctly.

So, does anybody know how to highlight Ruby code on GitHub?