> Except, if the external process actually prints something to stdout,
> then you need to call select in a loop until select returns nil, with
> decreasing timeouts depending on how much time has passed.

Well I tried to go a different route and ran into a strange issue.

I found a shell script on the net and modified it a bit see this

http://gist.github.com/626072

This shell script works perfectly when I use it from bash but it works
weird when I call it with backtics in ruby.

basically what happens is that the backtics don't return until the
timeout is expired no matter what happens.

It's the weirdest thing.

Does anybody have an explanation for that?