On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Jeremy Bopp <jeremy / bopp.net> wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 3:53 AM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> I discovered the ruby-core website, instruction on there is lacking.
>> What does one do after they check out the code?
>
> You should build the code and install the binaries so that you can start
> using that version of Ruby.
>
>> If someone wants to start small and work their way up what is the
>> process? I would like to help with Ruby 2.0, with testing and improving
>> the doc, and eventually move on to fix bugs.
>
> I don't know for certain what the official processes is, assuming there
> is much of one at all.         > sent earlier:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#patching-ruby
>
> That specific section details how to go about submitting patches and bug
> reports.      > on how to make a patch that will be considered.
>
> If you just want to start fixing things, look for open issues in the
> defect tracker and make patches to correct the issues you find.  > find documentation (or items that need documentation) along with the
> code within the Ruby sources.
> how to fix yourself, open a new issue in the defect tracker and provide
> all the details you can in order to describe the defect.
>
> -Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your assistance. I got the source off the trunk and built
Ruby, I guess I'll start off by getting familiar with the source code
and layout of the project. I did a quick browse of the bug database
and have a better idea where to look.

I guess my first step is to read the README and compile a C module I
can call from Ruby to get use to the build tool. I don't have a Linux
background, but at home I use it exclusively from Ruby and Rails.

I'll push myself to find a easy bug to reproduce and fix just to get
use to the process of going through the motions.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav