On 10/13/2010 07:31 PM, Arkady Itkin wrote:
> I'm pretty new to ruby.
> I'm using buildR to build our software.
> When buildR runs in the trace mode it prints out a huge amount of
> information to the standard output which is difficult to understand.
>
> I would like to have a better control on the output format.
> I thought about overwriting standard puts method and use log4R in the
> new implementation to get better control on formatting/filtering.
>
> Can it be done? Any other idea on how to get the better control on
> buildR output?

There are several methods that write to stdout (off the top of my head
at least puts, print, printf).  One option would be to assign to $stdout
another stream.  If you want to catch child process output things get a
bit more complicated.  In that case you either need to use IO#popen to
handle child process output or open a pipe and use $stdout.reopen to
attach the write end of the pipe to the stream.  You then need to read
(asynchronously, i.e. in a thread) from the read end.

Btw, why is offline filtering not an option?  I mean, if you write
stdout to a file you can filter whatever you like and you still have the
whole output.

Kind regards

	robert