On 10-10-12 10:01 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 11:31 PM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> How does one start to help the Ruby community? I figure the best way to
>> learn and build better Ruby skills is start by fixing bugs or help with
>> testing.
>>
>> I keep telling myself I know Ruby =P I mean I've been coding in C++ for
>> over 10 years. Yet Ruby style is different, so it's not about learning
>> to program but learning more about Ruby that I would like to improve upon.
>>
>> More to the point I would like to give back, while also making Ruby, my
>> tool of choice much better in the process.
>>
>> So where can I start?
>
> I'm sure there are many ways to start helping, but for me I found a task
> I needed to code, picked up a Ruby interpreter, and started working.
> Along the way I published a couple gems, contributed to a third, and
> filed a defect or two against some other gems and Ruby itself.  Now that
> I have a fair bit of experience, I also try to help out here by
> answering questions when able.  I can only hope that my contributions
> have been helpful to others.
>
> Take a look here if you want to start working on Ruby itself:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/
>
> Creating and improving gems are also immensely helpful activities.
>
> -Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I discovered the ruby-core website, instruction on there is lacking.
What does one do after they check out the code?

If someone wants to start small and work their way up what is the
process? I would like to help with Ruby 2.0, with testing and improving
the doc, and eventually move on to fix bugs.

I started to help with RailsGuides doc, and made a contribution to
updating documentation for a gem.

Thanks

--
Kind Regards,