flebber wrote in post #949224:
> HI
>
> Just a quick check. I am starting into Ruby with little interest in
> Ruby on Rails (its good to know its there though). I want to use Ruby
> as a more data centric means. So in my first case I want to extract
> data from websites and put it in a suitable format xml, csv etc for
> use in excel or later for use in a db application such as mysql or
> postgre.
>
> I am not nuts am I?
>
> I was looking at several comparison and I thought that Ruby dealt with
> lists and data in a logical fashion.

For excel I would reccomend win32ole it is available natively on windows
or you can install on linux through wine. I have no clue about mac.
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=430194

Roo also looks pretty cool but haven't done anything with it yet since
it can't write to cells in excel.
http://roo.rubyforge.org

but if you are putting to a database anyways it can read the data and
may be what you are looking for.