On 10/11/2010 11:31 PM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> How does one start to help the Ruby community? I figure the best way to
> learn and build better Ruby skills is start by fixing bugs or help with
> testing.
>
> I keep telling myself I know Ruby =P I mean I've been coding in C++ for
> over 10 years. Yet Ruby style is different, so it's not about learning
> to program but learning more about Ruby that I would like to improve upon.
>
> More to the point I would like to give back, while also making Ruby, my
> tool of choice much better in the process.
>
> So where can I start?

I'm sure there are many ways to start helping, but for me I found a task
I needed to code, picked up a Ruby interpreter, and started working.
Along the way I published a couple gems, contributed to a third, and
filed a defect or two against some other gems and Ruby itself.  Now that
I have a fair bit of experience, I also try to help out here by
answering questions when able.  I can only hope that my contributions
have been helpful to others.

Take a look here if you want to start working on Ruby itself:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/

Creating and improving gems are also immensely helpful activities.

-Jeremy