On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Thiago Massa <thiagown / gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to a regexp allow any character but the comma?
>
> My regexp is getting ugly like /(\x2E|\x3A|\x27|\x28|\x29|\x2D|\x21|\x2B)*/
> and so on(i ommited the real one for the love of god)
>
> I'm even thinking about implementing it myself like
>
> if not comma
>  pass
> else
>  not_pass
> end
>
> isn't there a way to extend the way ruby deals with regexp and make
> something like "/everythingbutnotcomma" mean what i want?
>
> I'm sorry of my lack of knowledge about regexps... I'm trying to really
> learn it once and for all.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Thiago Fernandes Massa
> 11 83979414

Use a negated character class /[^,]/

Here is an example http://www.rubular.com/r/6zUr2HVznL

Everything that matches the regexp gets highlighted. In this case, every
char matches, so it gets highlighted. Except the comma, because it does not
match since the caret in the front of the character class says "match
anything except"  Here is more on character classes, if you are interested
http://www.regular-expressions.info/charclass.html