On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:04 PM, egervari wrote:

> In the case of the sqrt line, those parenthesis are not required, and
> you're right - they are less readable.
>
> But take for example this line:
>
>    y = 10.div 10.div 5
>
> This is valid code. It produces the result "5". To me, this looks
> really bad though. Believe it or not, I can infer exactly what it's
> doing much easier by writing it this way:
>
>    y = 10.div(10.div(5))
>
> The order is very clear.
>
> See, in Scala, you don't need the "." when you drop the parenthesis,
> so dropping them both turns out to be much nicer and clearer:
>
>    val y = 10 div (10 div 5)

Is it really productive to compare the use of punctuators in Ruby with that of Scala? If you read Scala better, use it. If you see value in how Ruby programs read, fine, use Ruby. I wouldn't expect Ruby's syntax or idioms to change dramatically in response to how you visually parse Scala. I would, similarly, not expect much ground to be given to work with lazy IDEs that don't correctly parse Ruby code.